Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Friday Night Knitting Club - a review


In one word? Disappointing. So many people had told me that, as a knitter, I had to read this book. I really wanted it to be good but it just seemed to fall flat. The sections that were truly devoted to knitting were enjoyable to read but that only comprised about 2% of the book. Two percent of enjoyment is not worth 98% of frustration.

There were two main problems, in my opinion. Problem Number One was the use of profanity. I was truly taken aback when I encountered the first instance -- up to that point it had been a comfortable, pleasant read. The sudden appearance of this word was jarring to the point of taking me out of the story (rarely a good thing for a book to do). Those of you who know me may consider me a prude and wonder if I'm making too big a deal out of a word. Let me just say that, if it can't be said on network TV, it should not be said in a book purporting to extol the joys of knitting. Not only was the profanity unnecessary, but it felt oddly forced as if the author, once finished, went back over the text and randomly inserted colorful (yet incongruous) metaphors. Perhaps she was hoping for a more adult audience.
Note: there are those who may argue that knitting and profanity DO go together. I must admit that I could appreciate that point of view while I was attempting to start my toe-up sock with a provisional cast-on. But I demurred and now I digress...

Problem Number Two involved characterization. A character-driven plot demands a certain level of richness created by fully-formed characterizations and character growth. Neither ingredient was present. Georgia Walker, the main character, shows minimal growth over the course of the novel. Spoiler alert - do not read if you do not wish to see plot revelations): She spends the first half of the book regretting a prior relationship that ended abruptly, yet she needs very little encouragement to repeat the same behavior by leaping back into another commitment-less relationship (with the same partner, no less). It would be one thing if the point was to highlight a lack of growth on her part; instead, the reader is supposed to believe, along with Georgia, that this time everything would be different. At least Georgia had some good/bad qualities for her character. The minor characters seemed pulled out of a copyrighted list of stock characters. We have very little insight into their lives or choices. We are supposed to rejoice with them as they take control of their lives, but we never see the strength necessary to choose the control.

The Friday Night Knitting Club could have been a lot of fun; unfortunately, we are not allowed to get close enough to enjoy the knitting camaraderie.

No comments: