Thursday, January 29, 2009

Update on French Market Bag

My French Market Bag is coming along nicely -- and rapidly, too, especially considering that it could be such a monotonous knit. Since it is knitting "in the round" on circular needles, there is not even a "knit one row, turn, purl one row, turn" rhythm to break that long, spiral row of knit stitches. However, I have found that it is the perfect project to take someplace. I can knit a few minutes in the car on my lunch break, knit during TV shows that require more attention (I'm looking at you, Lost), and even knit while carrying on a conversation with friends. No pattern to track, no natural stopping point (i.e., the end of a row) that needs to be reached -- just that long spiral of knit stitches.


Here we are at the color change -- my next bag will have several of these




The body is almost finished in this shot. A few more rows and it will be ready for the handles and then it can be felted.


This is really a popular pattern. I have recently joined Ravelry.com, an on-line knitting/crocheting community, and found that over 1000 members have either made this same bag (not a similar bag but the pattern from knitty.com) or are working on it right now. It is interesting to see how other knitters have modified the bag by either adjusting the color pattern or changing yarns. One of my favorite versions had flowers embroidered on the bag before it was felted -- the final look was gorgeous. I want to try that, too. This bag would make a great gift -- I may end up making several this year.

No comments: